YES - Antler chews are great for your dog as long as you get the right one.
During our search for treats, we struggled to find a consistent quality of antler that was true to the label size and grade.
Our family started this business because we wanted to offer other Pet parents a product that they could give to their dogs with confidence. The GRADE of the antler plays a large part in the safety of the chew for your dog.
At Buck Bone, we only use Grade A. Grade A is the freshest shed with no cracks, smooth, and contains the highest moisture content.
You must make sure you get the right chew for your dog based on:
To determine the size of the chew lets take into consideration the dogs Weight in pounds –
- 5-20 – Small Dog with options of Small Whole or Small Split
- 20-40 – Medium Dog with options of Medium Whole or Medium Split
- 40-60 – Large Dog with options of Large Whole or Large Split, Jumbo Whole or Jumbo Split
- 60+ – Jumbo Extra Large Dog with options of Jumbo Whole or Jumbo Split
Now, what type of chewer is your dog -
- Whole Bones are an excellent choice for more aggressive chewers or dogs with stronger jaws.
- Split Bones have exposed marrow to offer a softer chew. Suitable for young or older dogs.
When trying antler for the first time, start with a split bone because of the exposed marrow, which is a softer chew. Then if your dog is looking for a hard chew graduate to a whole bone.
If you have any questions and would like to ask what is best for your specific dog, please feel free to call or email me directly.